Wednesday, May 03, 2006

But is there a librarian? I saw this story about the new Iraqi Virtual Science Library that has been created at the National Academy of Sciences : http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7003412210 . Here is a link to the "library" itself: https://ivsl.org/ . If anyone knows of a partner that includes the librarians as part of the deal in this project, please let me know.
I was once asked by an administrator to create a library at a hospital that did not include a librarian due to high personnel cost, but would just have a passcode lock on the door and a self-sign check-out procedure for circulation of materials. The doctors (my user audience) argued that without an information professional in place, this would not be a library. I agreed with the doctors, and added that the hospital could save money by having a do-it-yourself x-ray machine, too. (The librarian-less library idea was dropped.) By looking at the IVSL page, I think we are closer to what the administrator wanted.

No comments: